Date Posted: 2004-02-20
How do I bring an Excel spreadsheet containing data into ChemFinder, so that I can add structures?
First, you will need MS Access for this procedure.
- Launch Access.
- Create a new .mdb file.
- Under the Table tab, click on the New button and choose Import Table.
- In the Import Table dialog box, set the File Type to Excel (.xls), select the Excel spreadsheet, and click on the Import button.
- Click Next.
- Click on the First Row contains Column Headings option if applicable.
- Click on Finish.
- Click OK.
- Close MS Access.
- Launch ChemFinder.
- Create a new form (draw databoxes for each field you plan to have).
- Once you have created your form, right click and choose DataSource from the context menu.
- Click on the Open Database button and select the new .mdb file you just created.
- Click Open, then OK.
- Right click on databoxes to assign the field to the databox.
- Right click on the structure box and choose Field from the Context menu.
- Click on Create Field.
- Set Type to Structure, and then click OK.
- At this point, you are still in the Box Properties Dialog box, under the Field tab. Mol_ID is probably highlighted. Click on Structure to highlight it, and then click on OK.
- You are all set to start adding structures to this database.