Product: TIBCO Spotfire®
Why some custom expression functions are missing
When using custom expressions in Spotfire, the "Custom Expression" dialog (see "Custom Expressions Overview" for details) displays a list of available functions on the right. This article explains why there might be functions that you expect to be present missing from the list of available functions. There might be a few reasons why functions are not present in the list of available functions:
- Situation1: Some Custom aggregation functions are missing only when using in-db data.
- Occasion 2: Some custom aggregation functiosn are missing for both in-db and in-memory data.
Situation 1: Functions are missing only when using "in-database" data via Data Connectors
- Explanation: This is a limitation for in-database data. By default, the aggregation methods supported by the external data source determines which methods will be available for in-database data. Not all of the standard Spotfire aggregation methods and expressions are available on all external systems. On the other hand, there may be other methods available that Spotfire does not have by default. In this scenario, use the functions native to the external data source, or instead use in-memory data if available (when adding the data table use the "Load Method" = "Import Data". See the "Details on Add Data Tables > Load Method" reference for more details.
- Explanation: In this situation there may be a license restriction that is preventing the particular user from accessing some aggregation functions. To resolve:
- Check the group licensing in Tools > Administration Manager > Groups and Licenses
- Select the group that the user belongs to
- Open the Licenses tab > TIBCO Spotfire Advanced Analytics
- Ensure "Advanced Aggregation Methods" is enabled.
- Have the user log out and log back in so that the license change is registered