Product: TIBCO Spotfire®
How to configure Columbus's postgres databases as a Data Sources in Spotfire.
Columbus uses PostgreSQL 8.4.20 for its databases. Follow these steps to setup a Data Source in Spotfire to connect to the Columbus Server's columbus_webapp and omero4_4 databases.
On the Columbus Server
- Create a new postgres user. Some further reading can be found here.
At its simplest level to create a new super user 'joe' prompting for a password use the following in the Command Line Interface:
$ su - postgres
$ $ createuser -P -s -e joe
On the Spotfire Server
- Download the jdbc driver here. As an example at time of writing the latest is postgresql-42.2.14.jar
- Copy this file to the Spotfire Servers install directory:
- Run the configuration tool via uiconfig.bat If you are unfamiliar with the use of this tool consult the Spotfire Server Installation Guide.
- Go to Configuration > Data Source Templates
- Click the New button, add the PostgresSQL template available here, name and save
- At this point you should see something like this:
On the Spotfire Client
On starting the Spotfire Client you should also see Postgres as a Data Source Type available in the Information Designer (Tools > Information Designer > Setup Data Source > Type)
Typical connection URL/s would be as follows:
Where columbus is the hostname of the server, 5432 the default port for PostgreSQL and omero4_4 or columbus_webapp the database name.
Common errors and troubleshooting: